Are you planning a garage sale? It can be overwhelming. How do you know how much to price items?
We recently had a garage sale and here are a few tips I recommend.
Tips for a Happy and Successful Garage Sale
1. Organization is key! Organize the items so people can easily find what they are looking for. You can decide how you want to organize the items. There’s no one right way. For example, if you have baby clothes you can organize them by size or by type (shirts, pants, etc.). Make sure to put all like items together. Try not to have a kitchen item on one side or your yard and another kitchen item somewhere in the middle of everything.
2. Start early. There will be early birds. Our ad said 8am and there were a ton of people between 7am and 8am. Be ready so you can take advantage of the early traffic.
3. Prices. If you aren’t sure how to price items there are a few guides you can find online. Here are two of my favorite pages with tips on garage sale pricing: Garage Sale Pricing and Garage Sale Pricing Guide. Google terms like “how to have a garage sale” or “garage sale prices”. Before you start, think about the items that you want to get rid of and the items you are not willing to negotiate on. To save time marking prices, put like items in a bin or box and mark the section at a certain price.
4. Get change. Before you start make sure you have enough change. Have lots of ones, fives, and coins so you can give people change.
5. Keep your money safe. Do not leave a box out with your money. Keep the money in your pocket, small purse, or fanny pack.
6. Advertise well. On Craigslist make sure you give people an idea of what they will see at your garage sale. List general categories or some of your items for sale. Make sure you have visible signs around the neighborhood. Put signs at the entrance to your neighborhood and use signs to help direct people to your house.
Good luck and have fun!