Eating healthy can be a challenge. It can often be easier and cheaper to not eat healthy. I’m constantly trying to be creative with healthy eating and gluten free options. I make this baked breaded zucchini recipe often, but lately, I’ve been trying to limit the gluten. So, I came up with a gluten-free version of this breaded zucchini recipe as well. You can make this Breaded Zucchini recipe gluten free with Cheerios! Since Cheerios are gluten-free now, they work well as a Panko substitute.
There are many health benefits of eating zucchini. For example, this summer squash has a high content of omega-3 fatty acids. It also contains zinc, vitamins B1, B6, B2, along with calcium and protein. There are lots of way to cook zucchini, but one of my favorites is to bake it after coating the zucchini in a breaded mixture. It has just the right mixture of crunch and softness.
Baked Breaded Zucchini Recipe with a Gluten Free Option
The key to a successful breaded zucchini is organization. After cutting the zucchini into 1/2 inch slices, you’ll want to set up an assembly line of sorts. To keep organized, I have three separate bowls: one for the flour, one for the eggs, and one for the bread.
Baked Breaded Zucchini Recipe Gluten Free Ingredients:
- 2 medium sized zucchinis (green or yellow)
- 1/2 cup flour (all purpose flour or almond flour for gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch other seasoning, if desired
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs or Cheerios (gluten-free)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl combine flour, salt, pepper, and other seasonings.
- Beat two eggs in a second bowl
- In the third bowl add the breadcrumbs. If using Cheerios. I place the Cheerios in a baggie and mash them with the smooth side of a meat tenderizer hammer.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and lightly spray with olive oil.
- Cover a zucchini slice in flour.
- Then, cover the floured zucchini with egg.
- Next, coat the zucchini with bread crumbs. I place it in the bread crumbs and scoop some breading on top. Then, shake it off a little bit.
- Place each coated piece on the baking sheet and repeat until all zucchini are covered.
- Tip: I constantly wash/rinse my hands during the process.
- Bake for around 15 minutes depending on oven.
Check out more Gluten Free recipes on Cha Ching Queen