Now that I am trying out the Paleo diet, I wanted to come up with a Paleo energy protein bar recipe. Here is one of my gluten free bars I created that has lots of protein and added caffeine for energy.
If you are eating strictly Paleo, you are not eating dairy, grains, sugar, legumes, or high fat foods. If you want to learn more about the Paleo diet check out this book, which I’m reading now, The Paleo Diet Revised: Lose Weight and Get Healthy by Eating the Foods You Were Designed to Eat. Or you can find various Free Paleo Kindle Books too.
So, this recipe for high protein Paleo bars has no diary and mostly follows the Paleo diet. You can modify it to include more or less of some of the ingredients depending on how strictly you are following a diet. For example, when I made my bars I added 1/2 tablespoon of coconut sugar. You could omit this, use more, or add another natural sweetener of your choice. For added protein I used hemp seeds. If you are worried about the carbohydrates you could leave these out or use another nut or seed in its place. You can also play around with the amount of coffee and strength. I would use no more than 1/2 cup, since any more than that could affect the way the mixture sets.
The recipe posted was not very sweet or salty, since I was trying to keep it Paleo friendly. If you have a sweet tooth and/or enjoy salt, you may want to add a little more sugar and salt or top off your bars after baking with more salt or sugar.
High Protein High Energy Paleo Bars Recipe (also gluten free) – Includes Coffee, Almonds, and Cocoa
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (split into two 1/4 cup portions)
- 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 3 eggs or 6 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons melted almond butter
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease small baking dish or bread pan.
- Brew 1/2 cup of strong coffee. Add the cocoa and sugar to the coffee and mix well. If you tend to like your coffee sweet, you may want to add more sugar.
- In a small bowl whisk eggs and then mix in the coffee mixture.
- On the bottom of the pan spread a layer of 1/4 cup of almonds.
- Evenly pour the egg mixture over the almonds.
- Sprinkle the hemp seeds on top of the mixture.
- Then, evenly pour the almond butter on top of that.
- Last, sprinkle an even layer of 1/4 cup almonds on top.
- Bake for around 35 minutes until the mixture is set and comes out clean in a toothpick test.
Let cool and then cut. This recipe makes about 4-6 servings. Refrigerate for up to a few days. These Paleo bars can be served chilled or warmed up.
medianet_width=’300′; medianet_height= ‘250’; medianet_crid=’583435616′;