Luckily the gas prices aren’t as high as they were a couple of years ago, but ever since the gas price peak people have been looking for ways to spend less on gas.
Here are a few tips on how to save money on gas.
- The faster you drive, the more fuel you use. Drive slower, but not too slow.
- Use cruise control. By maintaining the same speed you will get better gas mileage.
- Combine errands
- Remove excess weight from your car. Remove unneeded items. It’s a good excuse to clean out your car.
- Keep up with car maintenance. Keep tires inflated and aligned, get frequent oil changes, regularly replace air filters,
- Look for a credit card that either gives you rewards or cash back for gas purchases. We have a Discover Gas card and get 5% cash back on all gas purchases.
- Buy gas when the temperature is cooler (like the early morning or at night) to reduce gas evaporation. Also, during these times gasoline is densest and you’ll get the most for your money.
- On the highway keep your windows closed. Open windows can reduce your gas mileage by as much as 10%.
- On the other hand, in stop and go traffic you want to open your windows and turn off the air-conditioning.
- Think ahead when nearing hills. Accelerate before you reach the hill, not while you’re on it.
- Look for the most direct routes. Curves, corners, and jumping lanes requires extra gas. Remember, the shortest distance between two points is always straight.
- Driving in reverse uses more gas. Try to park in ways so that you wont need to put the car in reverse when leaving.
- Car pool.
- Walk or bike whenever you can.
- See if your city has a lowest gas price listing or web site. For example at http://www.austingasprices.com/ people report on where they have found cheap gas in the city.