It’s been a while since I have posted a breast cancer update. I’ve been busy getting back to life.
Life After Breast Cancer – April 2010 Update
Things are going well. I’m feeling good, for the most part. I still get sick easily. I had a stomach bug a couple of weeks ago that was no fun. Evan got it first, Noah had a slight case, and then I got it. Somehow Morry avoided the bug.
I have been more active. We plan on joining Lifetime Fitness soon. They have a great childcare area as well as classes for the whole family. We did the week trial and enjoyed it. I was actually able to take a few group classes and run on the treadmill.
Noah turned 2 on March 20 and Evan turned 4 on April 5. We had a joint birthday party for them between their birthdays. We had family and friends over at our house. The weather was wonderful and everyone had a great time.
Fatigue and Hair Loss after Cancer Treatment
Back to me – besides being worn out easily, most days are good. My hair is growing back. The only annoying thing now is my fingernails. They became weak from the chemo and 5 of them have fallen off. Since there was already some nail regrowth it doesn’t look too bad. Just the upper half or 1/3 of the nails are missing. Really, it’s not too bad considering everything I have already been through.
Port Removal After Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer
My port is gone. I had that removed in February. It feels so much better without it. The breast surgeon did an amazing job removing it and fixing my scar. You can hardly see where it was now.
Surgery to Have Expanders Replaced with Implants
On April 23, I’ll have my final surgery for now. The expanders will be removed and the implants inserted. I’m not looking forward to another surgery, but I’ll be glad to have it completed. I have heard that surgery is not too bad. The surgery is scheduled for a Friday in Dallas and I plan on driving back to Austin on Tuesday.
Here’s a little about what to expect after going through a mastectomy and reconstruction. I’ll show you what the expanders look and feel like. You can also see what my scars look like after surgery. Overall the expanders aren’t too bad, but I’m sure the breast implants will feel and look a lot more natural.
Pictures 4 Months After Chemo
Here are a few pictures that were taken today. You can see my head is covered in hair now. I’m no longer wearing wigs or hats.
I hope you all are doing well.
- 10/25/2018 - My Laparoscopic Prophylactic Oophorectomy because of BRCA1
- 9/25/2018 - 9 Years!
- 10/1/2016 - What it's Like to Be a Breast Cancer Survivor in October
- 9/21/16 - Breast Cancer Survivor 7 Year Cancerversary
- 9/14/2016 - Scanxiety: Tips to Deal with Cancer Anxiety
- 9/23/2015 – My Prophylactic Salpingectomy with Delayed Oophorectomy (PSDO) – Fallopian Tube Removal Option for BRCA Women to Decrease Ovarian Cancer Risk (with video)
- 3/25/2015 – BRCA Positive Breast Cancer Survivor Response to Angelina Jolie’s New York Times Article
- 10/10/2014 – It feels like the bottoms of my feet have been hit with a hammer
- 9/25/2014 – My 5 Year Cancerversary – 5 Year Breast Cancer Survivor
- 5/23/2013 – Breast Implants after Breast Cancer Mastectomy and Reconstruction, Expanders, See Scars YouTube Video
- 9/30/10 – My Cancerversary (1 Year after diagnosis) Video and Giveaway
- 7/1/10 – Breast Cancer Update – 6 Months Later (pic)
- 4/26/10 – Breast Cancer Reconstruction after Double Mastectomy (video)
- 4/7/10 – Breast Cancer Update April 2010 w/ pics
- 2/26/10 – Light at the End of the Tunnel w/ pics
- 2/15/10 – Breast Cancer Update (video) – Done with Chemo, Now What?
- 1/23/10 – Dallas Doctors
- 1/7/10 – Appointment with the Oncologist
- 12/31/09 Last Chemo and Video
- 12/30/09 – Getting Ready for Chemo #4
- 12/27/09 – Still Recovering from Chemo and Video
- 12/10/09 Chemo #3 and Video
- 12/1/09 – Sleep… Finally and Video
- 11/19/09 – Chemo #2 and Video
- 11/17/09 – Wigs and Makeup
- 11/10/09 – Video Update – My Breast Cancer Story – Diagnosis to Chemo
- 10/30/09 – The Beginning of Chemo
- 10/15/09 – Good News After Surgery
- 10/10/09 – Post Surgery