Here is another breast cancer blog update. I talk about finally getting some sleep, shaving my head because of chemotherapy hair loss, and having a fever during chemo.
Breast Cancer Blog Update – Sleep… Finally and Video
We had a nice Thanksgiving. I hope you all had a great one as well.
I’m still in Dallas. Morry, the boys, and Lizzy went back to Austin yesterday. I’ll be flying home Wednesday.
Achy from Chemo
I’m feeling a lot better. Last weekend was rough. Saturday was the worst. I was so achy I could hardly move. Sunday we shaved my head. It was both a physically and emotionally hard weekend.
Each day this week I started feeling better and better. I was able to eat some of the Thanksgiving dinner and enjoy Morry’s famous chocolate pie (cool whip and pudding).
Breast Cancer Plastic Surgeon – No Expander Expansions With Fever
Wednesday I had an appointment with my plastic surgeon. I had planned on getting expansions at that visit, but since I was on antibiotics and had a low-grade fever earlier in the week he didn’t want to take any chances with infection. Everything looked good and the doctor was pleased with my progress. He asked how my skin was doing. I said great except the itchy scalp. The nurse suggested I shave my head completely bald. She said a lot of patients get relief once they do that.
Shaving My Head Completely Bald Because of Chemo
My mom made an appointment for me with her stylist to get my hair shaved. When I got there he said he wasn’t licensed to shave, but could use the smallest clipper setting. It helped but I still wasn’t completely itching- free.
Later that night my dad shaved my head for me with his electric razor. I’m sure he never planned on ever needing to do that. Anyway, I’m feeling a lot better now.
Bald and Less Nausea
Since Morry and the boys went home yesterday, we had a quiet relaxing evening, though I do miss having them around. I went to bed at 10:30 last night and slept until about 10:30 this morning. Wow! I can’t tell you the last time I was able to do that. I feel so much better today and I hardly have any nausea today. Today, I was able to eat a good brunch (my dad’s famous omelets).
Morry’s dad, Jack was here for Thanksgiving. Michael and Jen are still here and leave tomorrow. It’s been great hanging out with all of them. Evan and Noah really enjoyed playing with Zayde, and Uncle Mike and Aunt Jen.
Well, I hope I continue to feel better. My next chemo is scheduled for 12/10.
Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and weekend.
Breast Cancer Vlog Update
I just posted a video update with most of this info and a little more on YouTube here.
- 10/25/2018 - My Laparoscopic Prophylactic Oophorectomy because of BRCA1
- 9/25/2018 - 9 Years!
- 10/1/2016 - What it's Like to Be a Breast Cancer Survivor in October
- 9/21/16 - Breast Cancer Survivor 7 Year Cancerversary
- 9/14/2016 - Scanxiety: Tips to Deal with Cancer Anxiety
- 9/23/2015 – My Prophylactic Salpingectomy with Delayed Oophorectomy (PSDO) – Fallopian Tube Removal Option for BRCA Women to Decrease Ovarian Cancer Risk (with video)
- 3/25/2015 – BRCA Positive Breast Cancer Survivor Response to Angelina Jolie’s New York Times Article
- 10/10/2014 – It feels like the bottoms of my feet have been hit with a hammer
- 9/25/2014 – My 5 Year Cancerversary – 5 Year Breast Cancer Survivor
- 5/23/2013 – Breast Implants after Breast Cancer Mastectomy and Reconstruction, Expanders, See Scars YouTube Video
- 9/30/10 – My Cancerversary (1 Year after diagnosis) Video and Giveaway
- 7/1/10 – Breast Cancer Update – 6 Months Later (pic)
- 4/26/10 – Breast Cancer Reconstruction after Double Mastectomy (video)
- 4/7/10 – Breast Cancer Update April 2010 w/ pics
- 2/26/10 – Light at the End of the Tunnel w/ pics
- 2/15/10 – Breast Cancer Update (video) – Done with Chemo, Now What?
- 1/23/10 – Dallas Doctors
- 1/7/10 – Appointment with the Oncologist
- 12/31/09 Last Chemo and Video
- 12/30/09 – Getting Ready for Chemo #4
- 12/27/09 – Still Recovering from Chemo and Video
- 12/10/09 Chemo #3 and Video
- 12/1/09 – Sleep… Finally and Video
- 11/19/09 – Chemo #2 and Video
- 11/17/09 – Wigs and Makeup
- 11/10/09 – Video Update – My Breast Cancer Story – Diagnosis to Chemo
- 10/30/09 – The Beginning of Chemo
- 10/15/09 – Good News After Surgery
- 10/10/09 – Post Surgery