Today we had a meeting with the surgeon and the oncologist. The final results of the biopsy/surgery were complete. It appears they removed all of the cancer. The margins were clear and the lymph nodes were clear. The second suspicious spot turned out not to be cancer. According to the report, there was just the one tumor that measured 1.3cm. I am at stage 1, which means we caught it early.
My Next Cancer Update with Good News
Chemotherapy Recommended After Bilateral Mastectomy for Breast Cancer
The oncologist does recommend I have chemotherapy. Even though it seems the cancer has been removed, there could still be a cancer cell somewhere that they want to make sure to get rid of. The oncologist we met with today recommends a combination of 2 drugs (docetaxel/ Taxotere and cyclophosphamide/ Cytoxan). I would get it 4 times total – once every 3 weeks = 12 weeks total. Most likely that will begin around the middle of November.
We plan to get a second opinion in Austin and hopefully be able to do the chemotherapy there.
BRCA1 Gene Mutation Results
Oh, and we got the results back from the gene test a few days ago. I do have the BRCA1 gene mutation, which was not a surprise.
Overall, I feel really good about the news we got today. It was the best possible outcome.
Pain after Cancer Surgery
My pain is a lot better now. It’s more of a discomfort than pain. I’m just alternating Tylenol and Advil and that seems to be enough to keep things under control. I’m still very tired, but I can tell that’s getting better too.
Thanks again for all of your emails, thoughts, prayers, etc.
- 10/25/2018 - My Laparoscopic Prophylactic Oophorectomy because of BRCA1
- 9/25/2018 - 9 Years!
- 10/1/2016 - What it's Like to Be a Breast Cancer Survivor in October
- 9/21/16 - Breast Cancer Survivor 7 Year Cancerversary
- 9/14/2016 - Scanxiety: Tips to Deal with Cancer Anxiety
- 9/23/2015 – My Prophylactic Salpingectomy with Delayed Oophorectomy (PSDO) – Fallopian Tube Removal Option for BRCA Women to Decrease Ovarian Cancer Risk (with video)
- 3/25/2015 – BRCA Positive Breast Cancer Survivor Response to Angelina Jolie’s New York Times Article
- 10/10/2014 – It feels like the bottoms of my feet have been hit with a hammer
- 9/25/2014 – My 5 Year Cancerversary – 5 Year Breast Cancer Survivor
- 5/23/2013 – Breast Implants after Breast Cancer Mastectomy and Reconstruction, Expanders, See Scars YouTube Video
- 9/30/10 – My Cancerversary (1 Year after diagnosis) Video and Giveaway
- 7/1/10 – Breast Cancer Update – 6 Months Later (pic)
- 4/26/10 – Breast Cancer Reconstruction after Double Mastectomy (video)
- 4/7/10 – Breast Cancer Update April 2010 w/ pics
- 2/26/10 – Light at the End of the Tunnel w/ pics
- 2/15/10 – Breast Cancer Update (video) – Done with Chemo, Now What?
- 1/23/10 – Dallas Doctors
- 1/7/10 – Appointment with the Oncologist
- 12/31/09 Last Chemo and Video
- 12/30/09 – Getting Ready for Chemo #4
- 12/27/09 – Still Recovering from Chemo and Video
- 12/10/09 Chemo #3 and Video
- 12/1/09 – Sleep… Finally and Video
- 11/19/09 – Chemo #2 and Video
- 11/17/09 – Wigs and Makeup
- 11/10/09 – Video Update – My Breast Cancer Story – Diagnosis to Chemo
- 10/30/09 – The Beginning of Chemo
- 10/15/09 – Good News After Surgery
- 10/10/09 – Post Surgery