Since I’ve been trying to limit my gluten consumption, I have been searching for some gluten-free alternatives to bread. For those on a gluten-free diet, Paleo, or low carb diet, Cloud Bread makes a great sandwich, crust, or topping. In this case, I used cloud bread as gluten-free sandwich bread and as a gluten-free hamburger bun. There are all kinds of options for using this gluten-free egg bread for meals and snacks.
The main ingredient in Cloud Bread is egg whites. If you have ever made meringue or meringue cookies, then you are familiar with how egg whites transform when whipped and baked.
Gluten-Free Cloud Bread Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup almond flour (optional)
Gluten-Free Cloud Bread Recipe Directions:
- First, preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Crack 2 eggs. Place the whites in the mixing bowl and the yolk in a separate bowl.
- Then, add salt and cream of tartar to the egg whites and beat with a mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
- If you like your cloud bread dense, then add 1/2 cup almond flour to the bowl with the egg yolks. Mix those together.
- Next, fold the yolk mixture into the egg white mixture.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Then, drop big spoonfuls of the mixture onto the baking sheet. Shape into a more rounded form if desired.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Next, let cool on a rack.
- Finally, store in a container or zippered baggie in the refrigerator for a few days.