Sometimes, I cut my kids hair at home. Although I have never had any training, I watch what the hairstylists do when they cut my kids’ hair. Then, I try to do it myself at home. It turns out pretty good if I do say so myself. No one has ever looked at the kids and then asked if I cut their hair. That’s a good sign, right?
How to Cut Your Childrens’ Hair at Home
So, why do I cut my own children’s hair at home? Yes, it saves money, but it also saves a trip to the salon, and I enjoy doing it.
What do you need to do home haircuts?
Here’s what I keep on hand.
- clippers (electric shaver) *
- good pair of hair cutting scissors
- water squirt bottle
- cloth, towel, or some kind of cape to drape over the kids
- a distraction (a toy, etc that will keep them occupied)
* I use the WahlPro-series Complete Pet Clipper Kit – Corded or Cordless Operation, Blue ($45 on Amazon). It’s technically for pets, but I use it on my kids and our Golden Retriever mix. Might as well just buy one set of clippers.
I know there are lots of methods out there for doing home haircuts. Here’s a great video I found on YouTube. I woman shows you step by step as she cuts her son’s hair at home.
My Step by Step Haircut For A Child, Boy, or Man (Part 1) Easy Hair Style Cutting Tutorial
My Step by Step Haircut For A Child, Boy, or Man (Part 2) Easy Hair Style Cutting Tutorial
And, if you get frustrated, or find it’s more work than you bargained for, there’s always those quick neighborhood barber shops / salons.
Rachel is an Austin blogger, educator, mom, wife, young breast cancer survivor writing about health, saving money, and living a happy life in Austin, Texas.
Rachel has written for HuffPost and Hometalk and has been featured on KXAN, Studio 512, Fox 7 Austin, and CBS Austin.