Here’s my breast cancer update from December 19, 2009.
Well, here’s another breast cancer update – a post chemo #3 update. I’m still not feeling so great. For some reason, this treatment has been harder on me. It has been a longer recovery. The worse day this time, was better than the worse day last time, but I feel like it’s more drawn out with chemo 3. I’m still nauseous and very tired. This time I have had an annoying symptom. My hands have been hurting, almost like they are burned. It’s mostly the tops of my hands and in between my fingers. The pads of my fingers are sore too. The doctor said it is a reaction to the Taxotere (one of the chemo drugs) and gave me some steroids to take.
Low Platelet Count After Chemo
I had a blood test yesterday. My white blood cell count is good, but I am anemic and have a low platelet count. The doctor said that could definitely be making me tired, although it is expected and nothing to worry about.
Grateful for Family and Support System During Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment
This whole thing has really not been fun. I’m trying to stay optimistic and make the most of all of this. Although no time is a good time for cancer, I’m trying to look at it as a decent time. I was young and healthy and active. My parents are young and healthy and able to help us out. They have been able to make many trips to Austin from Dallas to help with me, the family, and stuff around the house. I have a great support system of friends and family. So many people have helped us out with meals and child care. It’s been nice having the help, but I’ll be glad when things get back to normal and I can do things on my own and take care of my family. I’m really looking forward to being active again. It’s been hard sitting around the house so much. Before all of this, I was walking or running many days during the week and taking the boys out of the house almost every day. Even if it was just to run errands, we were getting out of the house and doing things.
Making Something Good Out of Cancer
I’m not sure how this is going to change things in my life, but I know I want to make something good out of this. I want to be able to use this experience and be able to help others. I’m hoping to be able to do some of that now though my videos on YouTube. I just posted another one here. It’s not so cheery and upbeat, but I wanted others to see all sides of this.
Last Chemo December 31, 2009
My next, and final, chemo treatment is. Since my parents will be in Israel at that time Michael and Jen (my brother and his wife) will come in for a few days to help. I’m looking forward to seeing them – the chemo, not so much. Keep your eyes out for the next breast cancer update. Keep reading...
- 10/25/2018 - My Laparoscopic Prophylactic Oophorectomy because of BRCA1
- 9/25/2018 - 9 Years!
- 10/1/2016 - What it's Like to Be a Breast Cancer Survivor in October
- 9/21/16 - Breast Cancer Survivor 7 Year Cancerversary
- 9/14/2016 - Scanxiety: Tips to Deal with Cancer Anxiety
- 9/23/2015 – My Prophylactic Salpingectomy with Delayed Oophorectomy (PSDO) – Fallopian Tube Removal Option for BRCA Women to Decrease Ovarian Cancer Risk (with video)
- 3/25/2015 – BRCA Positive Breast Cancer Survivor Response to Angelina Jolie’s New York Times Article
- 10/10/2014 – It feels like the bottoms of my feet have been hit with a hammer
- 9/25/2014 – My 5 Year Cancerversary – 5 Year Breast Cancer Survivor
- 5/23/2013 – Breast Implants after Breast Cancer Mastectomy and Reconstruction, Expanders, See Scars YouTube Video
- 9/30/10 – My Cancerversary (1 Year after diagnosis) Video and Giveaway
- 7/1/10 – Breast Cancer Update – 6 Months Later (pic)
- 4/26/10 – Breast Cancer Reconstruction after Double Mastectomy (video)
- 4/7/10 – Breast Cancer Update April 2010 w/ pics
- 2/26/10 – Light at the End of the Tunnel w/ pics
- 2/15/10 – Breast Cancer Update (video) – Done with Chemo, Now What?
- 1/23/10 – Dallas Doctors
- 1/7/10 – Appointment with the Oncologist
- 12/31/09 Last Chemo and Video
- 12/30/09 – Getting Ready for Chemo #4
- 12/27/09 – Still Recovering from Chemo and Video
- 12/10/09 Chemo #3 and Video
- 12/1/09 – Sleep… Finally and Video
- 11/19/09 – Chemo #2 and Video
- 11/17/09 – Wigs and Makeup
- 11/10/09 – Video Update – My Breast Cancer Story – Diagnosis to Chemo
- 10/30/09 – The Beginning of Chemo
- 10/15/09 – Good News After Surgery
- 10/10/09 – Post Surgery