Young Woman Shares Breast Cancer Story – Diagnosed with Breast Cancer at 31 Years Old
I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer at 31 years old. I had a bilateral mastectomy and just started chemotherapy. Luckily, I’m stage 1. I’m triple negative and BRCA positive. Unfortunately, this can happen to young women. Even if you don’t have a family history, please take any lumps seriously and get them checked out right away. Before this, I was always healthy, and active. I was running 3 miles before all of this started. I’m a mom of two young boys.
Young Woman with Breast Cancer
It can happen to anyone. If you are young and have a history of breast cancer in your family then ask your doctor about getting an MRI instead of or in addition to regular mammograms. The doctors told me young women tend to have dense breasts, and therefore, breast cancer is harder to detect with a mammogram alone. In November, I had a clear mammogram and in September of the next year, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I wonder if it would have shown up in November if I did an MRI?
Here’s my breast cancer story so far.
- 10/25/2018 - My Laparoscopic Prophylactic Oophorectomy because of BRCA1
- 9/25/2018 - 9 Years!
- 10/1/2016 - What it's Like to Be a Breast Cancer Survivor in October
- 9/21/16 - Breast Cancer Survivor 7 Year Cancerversary
- 9/14/2016 - Scanxiety: Tips to Deal with Cancer Anxiety
- 9/23/2015 – My Prophylactic Salpingectomy with Delayed Oophorectomy (PSDO) – Fallopian Tube Removal Option for BRCA Women to Decrease Ovarian Cancer Risk (with video)
- 3/25/2015 – BRCA Positive Breast Cancer Survivor Response to Angelina Jolie’s New York Times Article
- 10/10/2014 – It feels like the bottoms of my feet have been hit with a hammer
- 9/25/2014 – My 5 Year Cancerversary – 5 Year Breast Cancer Survivor
- 5/23/2013 – Breast Implants after Breast Cancer Mastectomy and Reconstruction, Expanders, See Scars YouTube Video
- 9/30/10 – My Cancerversary (1 Year after diagnosis) Video and Giveaway
- 7/1/10 – Breast Cancer Update – 6 Months Later (pic)
- 4/26/10 – Breast Cancer Reconstruction after Double Mastectomy (video)
- 4/7/10 – Breast Cancer Update April 2010 w/ pics
- 2/26/10 – Light at the End of the Tunnel w/ pics
- 2/15/10 – Breast Cancer Update (video) – Done with Chemo, Now What?
- 1/23/10 – Dallas Doctors
- 1/7/10 – Appointment with the Oncologist
- 12/31/09 Last Chemo and Video
- 12/30/09 – Getting Ready for Chemo #4
- 12/27/09 – Still Recovering from Chemo and Video
- 12/10/09 Chemo #3 and Video
- 12/1/09 – Sleep… Finally and Video
- 11/19/09 – Chemo #2 and Video
- 11/17/09 – Wigs and Makeup
- 11/10/09 – Video Update – My Breast Cancer Story – Diagnosis to Chemo
- 10/30/09 – The Beginning of Chemo
- 10/15/09 – Good News After Surgery
- 10/10/09 – Post Surgery