Make Your Baby Shower Memorable With This Fun Activity: Decorate Onesies
This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure.
We had a couple’s baby shower for my brother and sister-in-law. They wanted a small, casual family party. With men and kids at the party, we wanted to think of some activities everyone would enjoy.
We decided to decorate baby onesies, shirts, and bibs.
Table of Contents
Baby Shower Activity Idea – Decorate onesies
We picked up various stencils, paintbrushes, and paints at craft stores. Make sure to look for Michael’s coupons, Hobby Lobby coupons, and Joann Fabric coupons before you head out.
You can use fabric paints, but to save some money acrylic paints work well too. Just make sure to get paints that say they work on fabric.
You can buy some plain white baby onesies at Amazon or
Before you decorate fabric be sure to wash the items.
Shirt decorating set up:
On the table, make sure you have newspapers or a protective acrylic table top (for protecting the table and inserting between the layers of fabric), cups with water to rinse off brushes, paper towels, pencils (for drawing freehand), paints, brushes, stencils, tape, plates for mixing colors and dipping brushes.
The tape is used to keep the stencils in place.
Once you have everything laid out, enjoy! It’s fun to see how creative everyone can be.
Once a shirt has been decorated hang it somewhere to dry for a few hours. We put a clothes line outside and hung up shirts with clothespins.
You’ve eaten dehydrated fruit, and it’s still real fruit. Earth Breeze Laundry Sheets are along the same lines. They’re actual laundry detergent but made in eco-friendly sheets. They’re just dehydrated laundry sheets that come in cardboard envelopes.
There is some debate about whether you need to heat set the paint. Once fully dry, I put all the decorated shirts in the dryer on high for about 30 minutes.
To wash the shirts, I would turn them inside out and wash in cold water. That seemed to work on the shirts I decorated.
More Tips For Decorating Onesies: baby clothes decorating ideas
- Get plain white onesies, bibs and shirts and let everyone go wild with fabric markers
- Have a variety of glitter glue and colorful stickers on hand to jazz up the clothing
- Utilize iron-on transfers with funny or thoughtful quotes
- Encourage guests to get creative by drawing pictures with fabric pens
- Put out different colored fabric paints for some added flair
- Offer 3D craft supplies such as pom poms, felt pieces and buttons to glue on clothes
- Give each guest one blank set of baby clothes to decorate
- If you’re feeling ambitious, offer each guest a bundle of clothes and extra supplies to take home so they can continue creating their designs after the shower
- Create a voting system for whose design is best
- Make it fun by providing snacks like popcorn and drinks!
Next Up From ChaChingQueen
Erin is the mother of identical twin girls and their slightly older brother. She is a domestic engineer, and previously had a career leading customer service teams for a major HVAC company. Cleaning without harsh chemicals, and cooking easy and usually healthy meals are part of Erin's daily life. She volunteers with youth leaders, and genuinely wants to help others win. Erin has a degree in Communications, with a focus on Broadcast Journalism.