Jerk Chicken Tacos Recipe with Mango Avocado Salad
This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure.
If you are tired of the same old tacos, then try this Jerk Chicken Tacos with Mango Avocado Salad recipe.
We eat tacos a lot at our house since they are so easy to make a school night. My kids like the raw tortillas that you cook on the skillet. We often end up making the same recipe for taco meat each time, so I was happy when Sara Haas shared this taco recipe with me.
Everyone in our family eats chicken and we all love spicy foods, so I think this will be a hit the next time we have family dinner taco night.
Table of Contents
Jerk Chicken Tacos with Mango Avocado Salad Recipe
For the jerk chicken tacos, you’ll need cinnamon, brown sugar, allspice, thyme, garlic cloves (Quick Kitchen Tip – How to Easily Peel Garlic), scallions, ginger, peppers, canola oil, fresh lime juice and lime zest, boneless skinless chicken breasts, mango, avocado, red onion, cilantro, and tortillas.
For even more taco recipes, check out Sara Haas’ cookbook Taco! Taco! Taco!: The Ultimate Taco Cookbook – Over 100 Recipes for Everybody.
Jerk Chicken Tacos with Mango Avocado Salad
- Blender or Food Processor
- Measuring Spoons and Cups
- Zip Top Bag For Marinade
- Grill Pan
- cutting board
- For the marinade:
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 2 scallions white and green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 2- inch knob of fresh ginger peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers stems removed and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 ¼ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- For the mango avocado salsa:
- 1 ripe mango peeled and diced
- 1 ripe avocado seeded and diced
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- For the tacos:
- 8 corn tortillas warmed
- First, make the marinade. To a blender or bowl of a small food processor, add the cinnamon, brown sugar, allspice, thyme, garlic, scallions, ginger, peppers, oil and lime juice. Puree until smooth. Transfer the marinade to a gallon-size, sealable bag. Add the chicken, press out any excess air from the bag, then seal and turn to coat. Marinate for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours in the refrigerator. For the mango avocado salsa, combine the mango, avocado, onion, cilantro, lime zest, and lime juice in a bowl. Toss to combine. Season with salt, as needed. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat or set a grill pan over medium-high heat. If using a grill, clean the grill grates and brush them with oil. If using a grill pan, coat pan lightly with oil. Once hot, remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry; discard marinade. Season with a little kosher salt. Grill the chicken, turning once, until internal temperature reaches 165℉, 10 to 14 minutes total. Remove from grill and let rest 5 minutes before slicing. Serve sliced chicken in warmed tortillas and top with mango avocado salsa.
About the Author
Rachel is an Austin blogger, educator, mom, wife, young breast cancer survivor writing about health, saving money, and living a happy life in Austin, Texas.
Rachel has written for HuffPost and Hometalk and has been featured on KXAN, Studio 512, Fox 7 Austin, and CBS Austin.