Tonight, we had another successful dinner thanks to a recipe from Real Simple Magazine. I had saved the Bass with Chorizo Bread Crumbs Over Smashed Potatoes and Peas recipe (from December 2014) because the picture made it look delicious and I thought I could alter the recipe some so the whole family could eat one meal.
Chorizo Bread Crumbs on Fish or Chicken over Smashed Potatoes and Peas (or Spinach) Recipe
Prep time was only about 20 minutes. In total, it took about 45 minutes to make this meal.
If you are following the recipe exactly here are the ingredients you will need.
- 1 1/4 pounds fingerling potatoes
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs 2 ounces cured chorizo, chopped
- 4 6-ounce pieces boneless, skinless bass
- lemon wedges, for serving
I made a lot of substitutions. Because my husband doesn’t like fish, he got a chicken breast instead. I was worried my kids might not like the bread crumbs, so I made one plain piece of fish. I did not see bass at the grocery store, so I bought cod. Since I didn’t have frozen peas in the house, I used frozen spinach instead. If you are making this recipe with chicken allow more time for it to cook.
The meal was great! The breadcrumb topping had a little bit of a kick to it. We even have plenty of leftovers for another meal later in the week.