Is your microwave gross? Are you looking to clean your microwave quickly? Did you know that you can easily clean your dirty microwave with vinegar, water, and steam? In this post, you’ll learn how long to microwave the water and how to do it safely. Using this green cleaning method, you can steam clean a microwave matter of minutes.
There is no need for harsh chemicals. You won’t need to use any elbow grease scrubbing away the gunk and grime using our microwave cleaning hack. Just let the vinegar and microwave do most of the work.
How to Steam Clean Microwave with Vinegar
Have you ever had something explode in the microwave? A bowl of soup? Pasta sauce? What a mess! I try to cover most of my food, but sometimes the paper towel comes off, or food sneaks through anyway. Using just water and vinegar, you can clean in a matter of minutes.
Did you know you can easily clean your dirty microwave with just vinegar and steam? It only takes 5 minutes to clean your microwave oven and I was amazed at how great it worked. Yes, vinegar is amazing. In fact, there are more than 50 other uses for vinegar.
What You Need To Steam Clean A Microwave
- a small microwave-safe bowl
- paper towels
- 1- 2 cups of water
- 2 Tablespoons of vinegar
- toothpick or wooden spoon
- optional – a drop or two of essential oil to diminish the vinegar smell. I used lemon oil. (deals on essential oils). A few drops of lemon juice, orange juice, or lime juice also works well to mask the vinegar odor. This is also a great way to get rid of any lingering burnt popcorn smell.
How To Steam Clean Your Microwave Using Vinegar
- Microwave the water, vinegar, oil, and toothpick* in a microwave-safe bowl for 5 minutes.
- Keep the microwave door shut for 5 more minutes allowing the steam to do its work.
- While you are steaming your microwave clean, wipe clean the front of the microwave with a wet paper towel or a damp sponge.
- Open the microwave door and carefully remove the bowl of hot liquid. Use an oven mitt to be safe.
- Use a sponge or clean cloth to wipe the debris out of the inside of the microwave. Don’t forget about the ceiling.
You will be amazed at how easily the food particles, gunk, and grime are removed.
*The toothpick is to keep the liquid from exploding. In certain containers, the liquid can get super-heated and “explode”. See next section.
The reason this works so well is the acidic steam breaks down the residue in your microwave interior without the need for harsh cleaning agents.
How to Steam Clean Your Microwave in 5 Minutes-No Scrubbing
- Dirty Microwave
- Glass Bowl
- 5 drops Essential Oil Helps eliminate Vinegar Smell
- 2 TBSP White Vinegar
- 1-2 C Water
- In glass Bowl mix Water, vinegar, Essential Oil
- Drop toothpick in the bowl
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes
- While waiting- wipe the front of the microwave clean with a wet paper towel or damp sponge
- Leave the bowl in the microwave for 5 minutes
- Open Microwave and carefully remove bowl *use an oven mitt
- Using a damp sponge or wet paper towel wipe debris out of the microwave. Don't forget about the ceiling.
Can Vinegar Explode In A Microwave?
Yes. Vinegar can explode in a microwave.
****Caution – Please do this at your own risk. It worked fine for me, but everyone’s microwaves are different. Always keep an eye on the microwave and remember contents will be hot. Because liquids can get super-heated and explode, know that vinegar can explode in the microwave. Although this is uncommon, you will still need to keep a close eye on the vinegar. Setting a toothpick or wooden spoon in the vinegar should keep it from exploding.
Steam Clean A Microwave With Vinegar And A Sponge
In addition, you can use a similar method to steam clean your microwave using a sponge.
Soak a sponge in the vinegar, water, and vegetable oil mixture. Set the sponge on the turntable. Then microwave the sponge for 2 minutes. This creates a small amount of steam and works well for simple cleanups and disinfecting your sponge. The sponge will be hot.
Clean Your Microwave Turntable
The above methods will clean your microwave turntable too. But sometimes you may just want to clean the turntable. The easiest way is to put your turntable in the dishwasher with the rest of your dishes.
If it doesn’t fit, you can soak your microwave turntable in your sink overnight in a mixture of warm water and vinegar. Soaking in dish soap with water also works, but may require a little more scrubbing than using vinegar.
Did you know you can also clean your dishwasher with vinegar?
Angry Mama Microwave Cleaner
Amazon sells these cute little angry mama kitchen gizmo microwave cleaners.
Here are Angry Mama microwave cleaner directions.
It’s super easy! All you have to do is add vinegar and water and microwave for 7 minutes. Then, steam comes out of the Angry Mama head to softens dirt and stains for easier cleaning. Conveniently, you can buy these microwave cleaners on Amazon and they are currently on sale, though prices change often.
For only a couple bucks you can have a sparkling clean microwave using white vinegar.
How To Clean The Exterior Of a Microwave
Steam cleaning is great for the interior of your microwave, but what about the exterior? Just use your favorite glass cleaner. Window cleaners and a soft cloth or sponge to wipe the fingerprints and smudges away.
Last Resort For A Clean Microwave Oven? Buy A New Microwave Oven!
If you don’t feel like cleaning your microwave oven, you could just buy a new microwave. If you are looking for deals on new microwave ovens, then Amazon has microwaves here.
A microwave that works with Alexa.
How to Steam Clean Your Microwave
- Microwave Safe Bowl
- Measuring Cups and Spoon
- Sponge or Wet Cloth
- 1 Cup Water
- 1-2 T Vinegar
- 1 Toothpick optional but helps to prevent science (explosion)
- 5-10 drops Essential Oils (scent of your choice) Citrus scents are amazing. This helps to mask the vinegar smell
- Paper towels, or cleaning cloth
- Combine all the wet ingredients in a microwave safe bowl
- Add tooth pick- this helps prevent the vinegar/water solution from exploding.
- Microwave for 5 minutes
- Allow bowl to stay in the microwave for 5 additional minutes
- Wipe Clean with paper towels or wet rag.
Share this post:
For more cleaning ideas, hacks, and guides check out Green Cleaning.
As parents to 3 little kids, we are always on the hunt for non toxic/eco-friendly products. We found one we use daily called Force of Nature, It's a little appliance that uses electricity to turn salt, water & vinegar into a multi-purpose cleaner, EPA registered disinfectant and deodorizer. It's strong enough to kill bacteria and viruses just like bleach, but it has no toxic chemicals whatsoever! It's also EPA approved for use against Covid-19. They have a promotion right now for 40% off & free shipping if you use coupon code HEYSUMMER. Give it a try: Force of Nature See our full review of Force of Nature.
Cha Ching Queen a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon prices change often and the prices listed are current at the time the post was written. Therefore, check the price before you make your purchase.
Interested in Amazon Prime? Sign up for your free Amazon Prime 30-day trial.