I made beef stew yesterday. Since I liked a few different recipes I added/subtracted some items to come up with my own Belly Warming Beef Stew Recipe – Easy to Make and Tender Meat Results.
Then, I served the stew with my homemade cornbread. Everyone liked it. This one pot beef stew is a great dinner for a cold day or whenever you are craving some good ‘ole home cooking. This stew was easy to make, but it does take some time to cook on the stove. Be sure you make this on a day you will be home for a few hours. You can keep it warm until dinnertime in the crockpot.
Belly – Warming Beef Stew Recipe
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs cubed beef stew meat
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley or fresh parsley if you have it
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 carrots diced
- 3 medium potatoes diced
- 1/2 bag pearl onions
Beef Stew Recipe Instructions
- In a big baggie combine salt, pepper, and flour.
- Place cubed beef in the flour mixture and shake bag until all all pieces are covered in flour.
- In a dutch oven or big pot, pour the oil and turn on heat to high.
- Shake off the excess flour from the cubes (keeping the flour in the bag) and place them into the hot oil and stir until slightly brown.
- Add the remaining flour from the bag to the pot along with the finely chopped onion, carrot, and celery. Stir until browned.
- Add the parsley, thyme, and broth to the pot.
- Cover and cook on low for about 1 1/2 hours. Be sure to stir the pot occasionally to make sure nothing sticks to the sides and bottom.
- Add the diced carrots, potatoes, and pearl onions. Cook covered on low for another hour or until the potatoes are tender.