After going through a breast cancer diagnosis and treatment, I found out that there’s more to the expense than just the medical bills. Cancer is expensive! Because of cancer, treatment, and surgery, I was not able to do my normal things. Therefore, we had to figure out how to take care of everything from childcare to household care. I searched for discounts for cancer patients, free stuff for cancer survivors, and other resources. Here are the discounts and free stuff for cancer patients that I found.
How to Get Free Stuff for Cancer Patients
How to Find Free Stuff for Cancer Survivors – Free Products and Services for Cancer Patients
Here are a few of my favorite freebies for cancer survivors.
Cancer Patients Get Free Makeup, Beauty Products, and Advice
Free, the Look Good Feel Better program through the American Cancer Society give free makeup to cancer patients. I went to one of these right before I started chemo. The Look Good Feel Better program is a 2-hour, hands-on workshop that gives cancer patients tips for hair loss, nail care, makeup, clothing and more. I came home with a large cosmetic bag filled with all kinds of beauty goodies.
The American Cancer Society also gave me two free wigs to use during chemo.
Free breast prosthetics for breast cancer patients
There are various places where cancer patients can get free breast prosthetics. Knitted Knockers are free to any woman who wants them. These special handmade breast prostheses are for mastectomies or other procedures to the breast. Awesome Breastforms are another knitted free breast prostheses. With these, you can choose if your breast prosthesis form is made with nipples.
Head wraps Free for Cancer Patients
For those going through chemotherapy, you can get a free head wrap from Good Wishes. Delivery can take 4-6 weeks.
Free Gift Cards for Cancer Patients
For cancer patients from around the United States, The Cancer Card Exchange gives free gift cards to use for gas, restaurants, shopping, movies, and more.
Free Housecleaning for Cancer Patients
This is a great idea! Cleaning for a Reason gives three free housecleaning services to those going through chemo. Unfortunately, when I applied back in 2009 it was not available in my area.
Free Stuff For Cancer Patients and their Families
FREE Summer Camp for Kids affected by Cancer
Camp Kesem is wonderful! Our kids went to Camp Kesem for the first time this summer. Camp Kesem provides a free week of summer camp for kids of parents with cancer. There are various camps around the country run by volunteers including 3,000 passionate college student leaders.
Free Beach Vacation for Breast Cancer Survivors and Families
Little Pink Houses of Hope gives free beach vacation getaways to breast cancer patients and their families.
Breast Cancer Free Stuff – Free Cancer Services and Advice
Breast Cancer Resource Center (BCRC), provides services free of charge to anyone affected by breast cancer. The BCRC is a great help at diagnosis, during treatment, and after treatment to help those living with cancer.
Free Fitness Classes for Cancer Patients
Livestrong at the YMCA has a free 12-week, small group fitness program. These are provided at various YMCAs around the country.
Free Exercise Programs for Cancer Patients in Austin
Capital of Texas Team Survivor (Team Survivor Austin) has free exercise programs for female cancer survivors.
Breast Cancer Free Stuff – Free Pilates Classes in Austin, Texas
Ballet Austin’s Pink Pilates offers free pilates classes. The Pink Pilates is a post-operative workout for women recovering from breast cancer. This is an awesome FREE 10-week program at Ballet Austin and the instructor, Vlada Sheber, is compassionate, fun, and knowledgeable. I highly recommend this program! The Pilates for Breast Cancer class is valued at $600.
More Resources of Free Stuff for Cancer Survivors
1UponCancer put together a list of Freebies and Discounts for Cancer Patients. The list includes a variety of free and discounted goods and services such as basic needs, prosthesis, classes, gas, housecleaning, pampering, retreats, and more. For example, Air Care Alliance ACA flies patients to treatments at no charge. Breast Cancer Charities gives qualifying breast cancer patients up to $500 towards rent or utilities. Crickett’s Answer For Cancer gives breast cancer patients free Mastectomy massage, other massage therapies, facial, manicure, a basket of pampering products.
Heal in Comfort
Another great resource is HealinComfort’s FREE Stuff for Breast Cancer Patients.
I wish I would have known about these post-mastectomy recovery shirts when I was going through treatment. Many of these mastectomy recovery shirts are offered only to low income or under-insured patients, but some services are offered to any cancer survivors.
Suggested Cancer Readings
Here are some books I found helpful while dealing with cancer, the diagnosis, treatment, etc.
Books for Cancer Survivors
Crazy Sexy Cancer
Kris Carr has a whole “Crazy Sexy Cancer” following now. She’s a young adult with cancer and she offers lots of helpful advice on living a healthy life. Here are a few of her books.
This book, AntiCancer, offers tips on how people living with cancer can fight it and how healthy people can prevent it. There are lots of practical things you can do. You choose to do as much or as little as you want, but the point is to do something. My neighbor, Bernardo (who runs the site Your Great Life TV – Dare To Live Fully) found this book so inspiring and helpful, he gave me my own copy.
There’s also Planet Cancer: The Frequently Bizarre Yet Always Informative Experiences and Thoughts of Your Fellow Natives. This a great read for young adult cancer survivors.
- 10/25/2018 - My Laparoscopic Prophylactic Oophorectomy because of BRCA1
- 9/25/2018 - 9 Years!
- 10/1/2016 - What it's Like to Be a Breast Cancer Survivor in October
- 9/21/16 - Breast Cancer Survivor 7 Year Cancerversary
- 9/14/2016 - Scanxiety: Tips to Deal with Cancer Anxiety
- 9/23/2015 – My Prophylactic Salpingectomy with Delayed Oophorectomy (PSDO) – Fallopian Tube Removal Option for BRCA Women to Decrease Ovarian Cancer Risk (with video)
- 3/25/2015 – BRCA Positive Breast Cancer Survivor Response to Angelina Jolie’s New York Times Article
- 10/10/2014 – It feels like the bottoms of my feet have been hit with a hammer
- 9/25/2014 – My 5 Year Cancerversary – 5 Year Breast Cancer Survivor
- 5/23/2013 – Breast Implants after Breast Cancer Mastectomy and Reconstruction, Expanders, See Scars YouTube Video
- 9/30/10 – My Cancerversary (1 Year after diagnosis) Video and Giveaway
- 7/1/10 – Breast Cancer Update – 6 Months Later (pic)
- 4/26/10 – Breast Cancer Reconstruction after Double Mastectomy (video)
- 4/7/10 – Breast Cancer Update April 2010 w/ pics
- 2/26/10 – Light at the End of the Tunnel w/ pics
- 2/15/10 – Breast Cancer Update (video) – Done with Chemo, Now What?
- 1/23/10 – Dallas Doctors
- 1/7/10 – Appointment with the Oncologist
- 12/31/09 Last Chemo and Video
- 12/30/09 – Getting Ready for Chemo #4
- 12/27/09 – Still Recovering from Chemo and Video
- 12/10/09 Chemo #3 and Video
- 12/1/09 – Sleep… Finally and Video
- 11/19/09 – Chemo #2 and Video
- 11/17/09 – Wigs and Makeup
- 11/10/09 – Video Update – My Breast Cancer Story – Diagnosis to Chemo
- 10/30/09 – The Beginning of Chemo
- 10/15/09 – Good News After Surgery
- 10/10/09 – Post Surgery
Discounts and Free Stuff for Cancer Patients