If you are trying to figure out how to wash and how to clean a mattress, then this guide will teach you about mattress cleaners, stain removers, and how to clean urine from mattresses.Jump to Recipe
Table of Contents
The Ultimate Guide on How to Clean a Mattress
First, think about how much time you spend on your mattress each day. Then, think about the last time you cleaned your mattress. A little scary, right?
This post will show you how to clean a mattress, what mattress cleaner to use, how to clean stains, and even how to get blood stains and pee stains out of mattresses and beds.
The good news is that it is relatively easy and inexpensive to wash a mattress and clean mattress stains.
There are more solutions rather than just flipping the mattress.
Depending on whether you are looking to spot clean dirt, deep clean, or remove odors, there are a few different methods to use.
Memory Foam Mattresses
Note if you are cleaning a memory foam mattress, the cleaning process is the same, but be sure to dry the memory foam mattress much quicker. Memory foam mattresses absorb liquid. Box spring mattresses touch air more so they are able to dry more efficiently.
Spot Cleaning A mattress
To spot clean a mattress, you have a few different options. Using a cleaning solution mix of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and liquid dish soap, spray the stain. Then rub with a clean rag.
Alternatively, for a non-toxic cleaner, look for a natural cleaner such as Force Of Nature.
For a more natural cleaning method, make a paste of lemon juice and salt. Leave the mixture on the stain for about an hour. Then, wipe off the remaining salt with a clean rag.
As parents of 3 little kids, Force of Nature is our go-to all purpose cleaner. It's nontoxic but is EPA approved for use against Covid-19.
We love vinegar, but we use Force of Nature every day.
Homemade Mattress Cleaner
For quick and inexpensive cleaning, clean your mattress with baking soda, as explained in the following steps.
- To get started, remove all of the pillows, fitted sheets, and all the bedding from the bed and give these a good wash. You can check out the 5 best laundry detergents you can buy according to USA Today. Then, to save money, use my method to make your own DIY Reusable Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets.
- Next, vacuum the mattress using the upholstery attachment on your vacuum cleaner. This helps to clean dead skin cells, dust mites, pet dander, debris, dried bodily fluids, wine spills, biological stains, and allergens.
- Then, spot treat to remove blood stains, urine stains, vomit stains, and sweat stains out of the mattress.
- Now, sprinkle the surface of the mattress with a generous amount of baking soda (with optional essential oils). This will help get odors such as pee smells out of the mattress. Leave the baking soda sit for at least an hour. The longer, the better. Baking soda helps absorb odors.
- Finally, with the upholstery attachment on your vacuum cleaner, vacuum all of the baking soda from the mattress.
- Bonus / Optional: Air out your mattress in the sunlight, if you can. Ultraviolet radiation from sunlight works as a natural disinfectant.
How To Clean Your Mattress
- 1 Dirty Mattress
- 1 Vacuum
- 1 Upholstery Vacuum Attachment
- 1 C Baking Soda
- 10-20 drops Essential Oils of you choosing Lavender works well to allow restful nights sleep
- Remove all linen from the bed including sheets and mattress protectors
- In a bowl mix 1 C Baking Soda, and Essential Oils thoroughly.
- Generously sprinkle the baking soda and EO over the entire mattress
- Allow mixture to sit for a minimum of 60 minutes
- Using the Upholstery attachment for your vacuum, thoroughly vacuum mattress to remove skin cells, sweat smells, dust mites, dried bodily fluids, and other allergens
How to Deep Clean Mattress Stains
Depending on the type of stain, there are different methods to wash the mattress. For general stains, follow the directions above for spot cleaning. For more stubborn stains follow the below steps on deep cleaning.
Yes, these non-toxic ingredients you already have at home are excellent mattress cleaner stain remover!
To get a urine stain or a blood stain out of a mattress, try using small amounts of hydrogen peroxide or laundry detergent and brush or blot the area with a clean cloth. Remember, hot liquids set stains, so only use cold water on blood stains.
How to Get Pee Smell Out of Mattress
For smelly urine on the mattress, whether from the kids or pets, follow the below steps. It is essentially the same as above, but you add soap for a deep clean.
DISCLAIMER: Before treating your entire mattress, spot test a small area. Any long-term harm or voiding of warranties that may result from your doing this is not my responsibility.
Some mattresses, such as those made of memory foam or pillow tops, might not respond well to this process. It will depend on the material your bed is composed of, and the recommended cleaning method. At your own risk, use.
- Fill an empty spray bottle with 8 ounces of hydrogen peroxide, three tablespoons of baking soda, and a drop of liquid hand dishwashing detergent. To help hide the odor, you can also add a drop of lavender or another essential oil. Lavender oil is also thought to aid with sleep facilitation.
- Shake it up a little, but not too much; otherwise, it might bubble up excessively. Your urine-removing solution is ready for use!
- Spray the remedy onto the mattress to remove the stains.
- Pour the stain remover on the entire surface if necessary
- Apply the mixture right away for optimal effects because peroxide begins to degrade in light.
- Use a fan to speed up the drying process or, if possible, place the mattress in the sun.
- After applying it for a short while, the stains should start to disappear mysteriously. To completely dry, it could take an hour.
- Vacuum any leftover baking soda.
Stubborn stains may require a second round.
What causes yellow stains on a mattress?
Not all yellow stains are urine. You sweat every night. Most of your stains are actually sweat stains. The steps we have outlined will help remove sweat stains.
Protect Your Mattress
In order to save yourself money and time, protect your mattress from mold, bacteria, and spills by getting a mattress cover. If you do not already use one, then get a good quality, waterproof mattress protector
In addition to good mattress covers, remember to wash your sheets and mattress pads regularly (ideally every 2 weeks). A routine mattress cleaning will prolong the life of your mattress.
Also, keep in mind, hot water sets stains. So, be sure there are no stains on the bedding before you place them in a hot water washing machine cycle. Every 6 months or so, rotate your mattress.
- Which is Better? A Firm or Soft Mattress?
- How to Clean Keurig Coffee Maker – Easy & Quick Video Tutorials
- How to Clean Oven with Vinegar and Baking Soda (and salt!)
- 18+ DIY Household Products You Can Make at Home
- How to Clean A Microwave in 5 Minutes! No Scrubbing
Erin is the mother of identical twin girls and their slightly older brother. She is a domestic engineer, and previously had a career leading customer service teams for a major HVAC company. Cleaning without harsh chemicals, and cooking easy and usually healthy meals are part of Erin's daily life. She volunteers with youth leaders, and genuinely wants to help others win. Erin has a degree in Communications, with a focus on Broadcast Journalism.