From a True Texan – Savory Texas Toast Recipe – Crispy, garlicky, buttery bread that melts in your mouth
So, why is it called Texas Toast? According to Wikipedia, Texas Toast may have been created in 1941 at the Pig Stand in Beaumont, Texas, originally as a mistake. The bakery ended up with bread that was too thick for the toaster, so the cook had an idea to butter and grill the pieces.
If you’ve ever had Texas Toast, you will probably never forget that crispy, garlicky, buttery bread that melts in your mouth. As a native Texan, I thought I’d share my recipe with you. I made it the other day and my husband raved about it.
I normally make more healthy-style food, so this was a pleasant surprise for him. Here is my Savory Texas Toast Recipe from a Native Texan.
Easy and Quick Savory Texas Toast Recipe from a Native Texan
8 pieces of Texas Toast bread or thick pieces of white bread
3/4 stick of butter
2 cloves of garlic or 1 tsp of minced garlic (Quick Kitchen Tip – How to Easily Peel Garlic)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp parsley
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
Heat butter so that it is almost completely melted. You still want a few small chunks of the butter. You don’t want it completely watery.
In a bowl mix the melted butter, garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley.
Spoon the mixture on to each piece of bread and spread evenly, only on one side.
Next, place the bread butter side up on the middle rack of the oven.
Then, bake for around 5 minutes until the bread is lightly brown, or to your level of toastiness.
Table of Contents
How to Freeze Texas Toast
You can also prepare these Texas Toast slices and freeze them for later. Before baking place the buttered bread on a cookie sheet in the freezer for about 15 minutes. Then place the bread in a freezer bag and put it back in the freezer.
When it comes time to make the frozen Texas Toast, cook the same way as above, but add a few minutes to the time.
Texas Toast Crispy Garlic Bread
- mixing bowl
- baking sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Cooking Pot
- 8 pieces Texas Toast Bread
- ¾ stick Butter
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minces Or 1 tsp jarred garlic
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Parsley
- Preheat Oven to 375°
- Heat Butter so that it's almost completely melted. You still want it to be be slightly together. Avoid watery butter for this recipe.
- In a bowl mix: butter, garlic, salt, pepper and parsley
- Spoon Mixture onto bread slices and spread evenly on only 1 side of bread
- Place bread on to baking sheet on middle oven rack.
- Bake for 5 minutes until bread is lightly brown, or to your level of preferred toastiness
- Follow steps above, but do not bake.
- Place bread on baking sheet and freeze for 15 minutes
- place quickly frozen bread into freezer safe bag
- Return to freezer
- Cook as stated above when ready to use
Modifying the Recipe
The great thing about this recipe is you can easily add or subtract ingredients. You can add more or less butter. Add a few more spices.
Let us know… how do you like your Texas Toast?
More recipes from ChaChingQueen
- Simple and Easy Bread Recipes
- Breadsticks Gluten Free Paleo: Tasty, Easy Recipe Few Ingredients
- Applesauce Muffins Recipe: Healthy Gluten Free Low Sugar
- Easy Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Maple Syrup And Soy Sauce Recipe
- Even more recipes
Rachel is an Austin blogger, educator, mom, wife, young breast cancer survivor writing about health, saving money, and living a happy life in Austin, Texas.
Rachel has written for HuffPost and Hometalk and has been featured on KXAN, Studio 512, Fox 7 Austin, and CBS Austin.