Have you heard about the Bulletproof Coffee health craze? First, how much do you know about butter coffee? In this post, you will learn what bulletproof coffee is and some Bulletproof Coffee Recipes tips and tricks to spice it up a bit.
What is Bulletproof Coffee (Butter Coffee)?
Created by Dave Asprey and posted in 2009, Bulletproof Coffee contains a blend of “upgraded” black coffee with grass-fed butter and Brain Octane oil. The claim is that this drink will boost cognitive performance, energy, and weight loss. The energy boost is believed to come from the combined effects of caffeine and “good” fats. Read more about butter coffee benefits and the company here.
To get the most benefits from Bulletproof Coffee, try Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting. Be careful; do not jump the gun because you risk “disaster pants,” as warned on the website.
How Do You Make Bulletproof Coffee?
Ingredients for Bullet Proof Coffee
- Good coffee such as Upgraded Coffee by Bulletproof
- Oil such as Brain Octane™ XCT oil™, MCT oil, or coconut oil
- Grass-fed butter such as Kerry Gold
Table of Contents
Bullet Proof Coffee
- Coffee Pot
- Measuring Spoon and Cup
- 1-2 Cups Brewed Coffee- Chose a high quality coffee
- 1-2 Tbsp Brain Octane™ or XCT oil™ or Coconut Oil
- 1-2 Tbsp Grass Fed Butter Kerrygold is a great brand.
- Brew high quality coffee as you typically would- French Press, percolator, or pour over
- While coffee is brewing fill blender with hot water
- After coffee is brewed, empty water from blender into sink
- Add coffee, oil, and butter in blender
- Blend on high until all ingredients are incorporated and thick foam
Walmart even sells Kerry Gold at a good price!
As another option, get the Bulletproof Upgraded Coffee Starter Kit- Brain Octane Edition here that comes with the Upgraded coffee and XCT oil.
Easy way to make butter coffee
First, blend 1-2 cups of coffee with 1-2 tablespoons of Brain Octane™ or XCT oil™ (Coconut oil if you don’t have those) and 1-2 tablespoons of grass-fed butter.
Proper, suggested way.
First, brew 1-2 cups of upgraded coffee (use the best coffee in your area). Pre-heat the blender with boiling water. Then, dump the hot water from the blender and add the coffee, butter, and oil. Finally, blend until there is a thick foam layer.
Helpful Products for Making Your Bulletproof Coffee
I love my Ninja blender since it works great and it’s easy to clean up.
Another option is inexpensive hand blenders such as this Hamilton Beach hand blender would also work well and take up less room.
Bulletproof Coffee Recipes Tips and Tricks to Spice it Up
Save time and save money!
In order to save time and money, buy your Bulletproof ingredients in bulk and blend them (without the coffee) ahead of time. Then, freeze for later. Check this out.
How to Make Frozen Bulletproof Coffee Cubes
- First, in your blender mix equal tablespoon amounts of grass fed butter and oil. When I first made these I started with 8 tablespoons of Kerry Gold butter and 8 tablespoons of coconut oil. After that, add optional spices and sweeteners. In mine, I added cinnamon.
- Then, blend well.
- Next, fill ice cube trays with tablespoons of your mixture.
- Freeze for a few hours.
- After that, Transfer to a labeled freezer bag.
- Next time you make your coffee, grab one (or two) of your homemade Frozen Bulletproof Coffee Cubes and mix everything in your blender.
How about some Bulletproof Coffee recipes to spice things up a bit?
After you have finished reading all of the Bulletproof coffee recipes, check out the Coffee Recipes Pinterest board.
Here are just a few of my favorites that I’d like to try.
As a great refresher, try this Iced Bulletproof Coffee recipe from Bulletproof.
Also, check out this recipe for Bulletproof Hot Chocolate from Start Low Carb.
Have you seen this Gut-healing Cinnamon Coconut Latte Coffee Recipe from The Real Food Dieticians? Since it only takes 5 minutes to make, there are no excuses.
OMG!Try this Bulletproof Tiramisu Treat from Fatmandoo!
And, for all the Pumpkin Spice lovers out there, there’s a coffee recipe for you too. Check out this Pumpkin Spice Bulletproof Coffee recipe from The Banting Blondes.
Ice Cream You Scream…We’ll all scream for this Bulletproof Coffee ice cream recipe from Grass Fed Geek.
What, What?!? There’s even an Egg Nog Bulletproof Coffee Recipe at Dirty Floor Diaries.
Bulletproof Coffee goes vegan. Yes, there’s even a vegan Bulletproof Coffee recipe at One Green Planet.
If you are not a coffee lover, then that’s okay. You can still get great benefits with this recipe for Bulletproof Matcha Latte Tea from Healthy Delicious.
Before this, I never thought about putting chia seeds in my coffee, but Helpful Pursuit has a Keto Rocket Fuel Cafe Mocha Coffee with Chia Seeds recipe.
For another idea, coffee Jelly Almond Milk Tea can be made “Bulletproof” by adding your oil and butter. If you are interested, then get the recipe here.
Not for drinking, but still fun… learn how to make this Bulletproof Coffee Scrub with the Coconut Oil & Coffee Body Scrub Tutorial from Mad in Crafts. Even your skin can enjoy some Bulletproof coffee!
Rachel is an Austin blogger, educator, mom, wife, young breast cancer survivor writing about health, saving money, and living a happy life in Austin, Texas.
Rachel has written for HuffPost and Hometalk and has been featured on KXAN, Studio 512, Fox 7 Austin, and CBS Austin.