Our annual Halloween block party is approaching and I was trying to think of an easy potluck Halloween treat. I came up with an idea that I decided to try today. It has been rainy all day, and something about the rain makes we want to bake. Well, I wouldn’t really call this baking… or maybe I’d call it a baking shortcut.
Who loves s’mores? Just about everyone, right? These s’mores-like Halloween eyeballs are made out of just Nilla Wafers, marshmallows, and chocolate chips.
I started with a very small batch because I wasn’t sure how they would turn out. Between my husband, boys, and I, they were gone in an instant. Then, I made another batch, since the first was so successful. I placed them on a plate, took a few pictures, then put the plate on the counter. I invited the kids to come downstairs and have few s’mores eyeballs. Before I could finish the invitation, the s’mores were gone!
S’mores Eyeballs – Easy Halloween Treat
- Nilla Wafers (mini size)
- small marshmallows
- chocolate chips (any variety, we prefer milk chocolate)
Directions for Smores Eyeballs
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Then, line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Lay out the Nilla Wafters (how ever many you want) with about a half-inch or so between them. I prefer to place the wafers with the curved side up so they look more like rounded eyes.
- Next, on top of each wafer place a small marshmallow.
- Bake for about 5 minutes.
- Then, remove the baking sheet from the oven and carefully press one chocolate chip on each marshmallow wafer. Press down to slightly smoosh the marshmallow and get the chocolate chip to stick.
- Return to the oven for about 1 minute.
- Next, let cool until the marshmallows and chocolate chips have hardened. This takes only a few minutes.
- Finally, eat if you dare!
Other suggestions: If you truly want the s’mores taste you can use graham crackers. Either cut out your own circles or find some graham crackers already cut in circles.