Make and Decorate Sugar Cookies with the kids this summer – Sugar Cookies Recipe and Frosting Recipe
When the kids are home from school I’m always looking for fun activities to keep the kids busy. Over Christmas, we made cookies for school and I thought we’d do it again for a potluck party. Now, we make these sugar cookies often, whenever there is a party or some type of celebration. If you are looking for an easy recipe to make with the kids, then this one is a good one for you! Here’s a little how-to make Sugar Cookies recipe and frosting recipe that is fun and easy.
Cha Ching Queen’s Sugar Cookies and Frosting Recipe
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons butter
6 cups confectioners sugar
2/3 cup half-and-half
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of salt, to taste
1. In a large mixing bowl slowly beat the 1 1/2 cups of butter, flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, salt, vanilla extract, and eggs until well mixed.
2. Remove the dough from the bowl and form into a loose ball. Divide it into 4 sections, cover each in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least an hour.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat 6 tablespoons of butter, confectioners sugar, half and half, vanilla, and a touch of salt. Mix on medium-high until it looks like frosting.
4. If you do not have disposable decorating bags, put the frosting in individual zipper sandwich bags and add food coloring if desired.
5. When dough is chilled, roll into 1/2 inch thick sheets and cut with cookie cutters.
6. On a baking sheet lined with wax / parchment paper or a reusable cookie sheet liner like this put the cut cookies about 2 inches apart form each other.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 +/- a few minutes (depending on oven) and rotate pans halfway through baking. The cookies are done when they are slightly golden.
8. Place on wire rack to cool.
10. When cookies are cool, lay out frosting bags and any other decorations you want. In one bottom corner of each frosting bag, cut a very small hole for the icing to come out.
11. Let the frosting set for several hours until hardened.
12. Enjoy your cookies!
based on 7 customer reviews